Sunday, September 12, 2010

A true "love/hate" relationship

Science -A simple word with a complex meaning.

I can honestly sit here and say I have a true "love/hate" relationship with science. I love that I can use simple hypothesis' to gather evidence, and then make my own inferences about an idea. I love how science seems to take me on explorations. Most of all, I love that science is made up of "building blocks" of knowledge. (Building blocks to me are inferences gained from observations)

Take the concept of space, for an example. We now know the Solar System is part of many galaxies which exist in space. In order to get to this point of knowing, we had to build upon our knowledge of concepts that led to the discovery of space.

This is rough representation of the "building blocks" of the space concept mentioned in the above paragraph...
the Sun--> orbit of the Earth around the Sun--> the Solar System--> parts of the Solar System--> distant galaxies--> (?)--> (depends on the previous "building block")

This brings me to my frustration with science. I hate the fact that science has no definite answers. The idea of not being able to prove anything right or wrong allows science to have infinite answers to problems. This bothers me because my thinking tends to be concrete. Science is anything but concrete...

1 comment:

  1. Ambiguity is sometimes a frustrating thing, but most of life is not clear cut. For example: there is no "right way" to teach, we have to make decisions based on what we know about learning and our students.

    One note of caution: Some see science as a collection of facts (as your building blocks hint at), others see science as a process. I argue it is both, so think about how you would describe the PROCESS of science.

    ReplyDelete